SAYL Mail School and Youth Librarians newsletter September 18, 2020
The Alaska Board of Education adopted the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to update our school library standards from 1999. Progress!! Many thanks to those who served on the writing and review committees and spoke in support during the public comment at the board meetings or by email.
Closing date Sept 30
AASL COVID Recovery Grant application http://www.ala.org/aasl/awards/inspire/special
“These grants are being offered as a special offering using the current Inspire Collection Development Grants criteria, application and rubric, but established specifically to address collection loss due to COVID and increased need to remote access for learners.”
2020 Banned Books Week Sept 27- Oct 3
Check out the free downloads, Top 10 Challenged Books of 2019 and lots of promotional ideas.
ALA Events during BB Week Calendar
40 Virtual Program Ideas https://www.oif.ala.org/oif/?p=21498
Also, Sept 30 is Banned Website Awareness Day http://www.ala.org/aasl/advocacy/bwad
While your hope may be to just get through the day at this point, take a break and take a look at some of the fun ideas. Find a way to collaborate and share your ideas and products.
Upcoming Webinars (Free)
Sept 21 School Librarian as Game Changer webcast available https://bit.ly/AASLnew
Sept 22 12:00pm Behind the Book Author Takeover with DJ Corchin Information and registration
Sept 23 10:00am SLJ Webcast: Hi-Lo, Explore new titles Register
Sept 25 8:00-8:30 am. Live Home Work Help Webinar: Study Skills (30 minutes) Register
Articles of interest to School Librarians from Intellectual Freedom News
- Check out the complementary content at AASL Learning Library
- Media Specialists Guide to Non Partisan Fact Checking Websites: Features ten websites and a great infographic to download. List and infographic
- Now is the Time to Get Your Elevator Speech Up to Date: What Do You Do?: Offers a three page worksheet to help you craft a succinct summary of what it is you do for your school.(Laura Sheneman)
- Boosting the Signal of School Librarians: Time to get engaged, out of your comfort zone. Here are a few things you can do now. (KnowledgeQuest)
- When doing your best just isn’t good enough: Good words of encouragement (Amy Watson)
- Zoom brain: Zoom Fatigue, what really is happening in your brain? Article/podcast